The First Community Foundation was established in 1954 to honor the 20th anniversary and the work of First Community Church’s Senior Minister Dr. Roy A. Burkhart. His vision was to create a community in service, with resources to address needs for building the role of God’s love in the world.
In 1961, the Foundation became a separate non-profit organization with a board of trustees, appointed by the First Community Church Governing Board. The two boards work together to support church missions and ministries, particularly those areas not covered by the operating budget.
Since 1964, the Foundation’s assets have grown from $136,663 to nearly $8 million in 2020. A portfolio of more than 100 funds is invested and professionally managed.